Virtual Power Plant (VPP) Demonstrations
In this section
In this section
- DER Register Implementation
- Improving DER Capability
- Open Energy Networks – joint consultation with Energy Networks Australia
- Virtual Power Plant (VPP) Demonstrations
- DER meetings and working groups
AEMO is collaborating with the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA), the Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC), the Australian Energy Regulator (AER), and members of the Distributed Energy Integration Program (DEIP), to establish the VPP Demonstrations.
These demonstrations are the first step in a broad program of work designed to inform changes to regulatory frameworks and operational processes so Distributed Energy Resources (DER) can be effectively integrated into the National Electricity Market (NEM), maximising value to consumers while also supporting power system security.
VPP Demonstrations launch July 2019
AEMO is establishing a framework to allow VPPs to demonstrate their capability to deliver services in contingency FCAS and energy markets. The VPP Demonstrations will allow participating VPPs to trial a new specification to deliver contingency FCAS, and AEMO will observe how VPPs respond to energy market price signals as non-scheduled resources. By trialling VPP operations while their aggregated fleets remain of a small scale, the VPP Demonstrations aim to inform the effective integration of VPPs into the NEM before they reach large scale.
The VPP Demonstrations aim to:
- Allow VPPs to demonstrate their capability to deliver multiple value streams across FCAS, energy and potential network support services.
- Provide AEMO with operational visibility to help AEMO consider how to integrate VPPs effectively into the NEM.
- Assess current regulatory arrangements affecting participation of VPPs in energy and FCAS markets, and inform new or amended arrangements where appropriate.
- Provide insights on how to improve consumers’ experience of VPPs in future.
- Understand what cyber security measures VPPs currently implement, and whether their cyber security capabilities should be augmented in future.
The VPP Demonstrations are now open for enrolments. AEMO's full media statement can be seen here.
Information on the final design of the VPP Demonstrations program and how to enrol can be found in the following documents:
- Final Design Document (484 KB, pdf)
- Enrolment Form (487 KB, docx)
- Enrolment Guide (416 KB, pdf)
- VPP Demonstrations Frequency Control Ancillary Services (FCAS) Specification (735 KB, pdf)
- Data Specification (517 KB, pdf)
- Data Template (95 KB, xlsx)
- Cyber Security Questionnaire (48 KB, xlsx)
- Draft Guide to VPP Demonstrations APIs (601 KB, pdf)
Arena funding announcement April 2019
AEMO has secured funding from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) for its Virtual Power Plant (VPP) demonstrations to advance the integration of Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) in Australia’s electricity network. AEMO's full media statement can be seen here.
Consultation Paper November 2018
In November 2017 AEMO published a consultation paper to seek feedback on a proposed framework for the VPP Demonstrations.
- VPP Demonstrations Consultation Paper (678 KB, pdf)
AEMO held two stakeholder webinars to facilitate further discussion on the consultation paper prior to a deadline for written submission. The details for these webinars, and the non-confidential written submissions received are below.
VPP Demonstrations Webinar #1 on 4 December 2018
VPP Demonstrations Webinar #2 on 17 December 2018
- VPP Demonstrations Webinar recording on 17 December 2018 (32 MB, mp4)
- VPP Demonstrations Webinar presentation on 17 December 2018 (2.5 MB, pptx)
- ECA (358 KB, pdf)
- EQL (461 KB, pdf)
- Embertec (57 KB, pdf)
- ActewAGL (139 KB, pdf)
- AGL (343 KB, pdf)
- CEC (163 KB, pdf)
- CEEM (1.4 MB, pdf)
- ENA (640 KB, pdf)
- EnergyAustralia (214 KB, pdf)
- Freedom Power (33 KB, pdf)
- Karit (86 KB, pdf)
- LO3 (60 KB, pdf)
- Monash (183 KB, pdf)
- Mondo (435 KB, pdf)
- Origin (139 KB, pdf)
- Power Ledger (196 KB, pdf)
- Ready.Energy (110 KB, pdf)
- Reposit (182 KB, pdf)
- SandC Electric Company (551KB, pdf)
- Simply Energy (92 KB, pdf)
- Sonnen (133 KB, pdf)
- SZE (143 KB, pdf)
- Tesla (250 KB, pdf)
- Tukio (886 KB, pdf)
- Wattwatchers (147 KB, pdf)
- Western Power (610 KB, pdf)