Generator Registration and Connection in the NEM
In this section
In this section
- Ancillary Services Technical Advisory Group
- AWEFS and ASEFS Working Group
- Consumer Forum
- Causer Pays Procedure Consultation
- Energy Market Leaders Forum
- Generator Registration and Connection in the NEM
- Grid Control System Consultative Forum
- Intervention Pricing Working Group
- Market Participant 5-Minute Self Forecast
- National Electricity Market Operations Committee (NEMOC)
- NTNDP Technical Working Group
- Forecasting Reference Group (FRG)
- Planning Reference Group (PRG)
- Plant Modelling Reference Group
- Operations Planning Working Group
AEMO will be presenting its next Generator Registration and Connection in the NEM roadshow series in Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane in November this year. This roadshow is to assist proponents with information to better understand AEMO’s onboarding process and timelines associated with the registration and connection process. This roadshow is designed for generators or anyone who wants to connect to the National Electricity Market (NEM). This series will be presented as a case study.
The NEM is in a period of transition. AEMO is seeing an increased number of generators, representing a wide range of technologies and configurations, being brought to market under tight project timelines. These timelines need to take account of AEMO’s processes designed to ensure generators are registered and connected in accordance with the organisational capability and technical performance demanded by the market.
AEMO understands that for new proponents, and their service providers, the registration and connection processes can represent a challenge. There are many aspects from initial connection enquiry through registration to successful commissioning and dispatch to navigate.
To help proponents understand the aspects of connection and registration AEMO is putting on a roadshow to cover the what, why, who, how, when and how long. AEMO will cover:
- Organisational assessment
- Connection application
- Generator performance standards due diligence processes
- Telemetry and operational forecasting needs
- Metering requirements
- Settlements and prudential assessments
- IT set up and the commissioning process
In response to feedback from AEMO’s roadshows held earlier this year, AEMO will be running the presentation in a case study format: from a proponent’s enquiry to generator dispatch, using a representative onboarding timeline.
Network service providers have been invited to contribute to the discussion and cover key aspects of their connection responsibilities. Authorities responsible for licensing electricity generation in each NEM jurisdiction have been invited to discuss their licensing requirements and processes.
This roadshow will provide a whistle stop tour of the various facets of the registration and connection process. It will not be an in-depth assessment or review of the National Electricity Rules or the application forms or guides that we publish. AEMO will be relying on recent experience to highlight the various pitfalls that proponents need to safeguard against to ensure a smooth and timely entry into the NEM.
AEMO is running roadshows throughout November in:
The Science Exchange
Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour
Hotel Grand Chancellor
InterContinental The Rialto
For more information about the roadshow, please contact AEMO’s Stakeholder Relations – firstname.lastname@example.org.